Thursday, June 20, 2013

Widgets

Card Release 02

The new cards for Yoshimitsu and Kazuya have arrived today in honor of Japan (lol, they said China last time, I wonder if they will say Japan this time). These can be seen at the official Tekken Card Tournament site. I wanted to just do a quick review on them now that they are out.

New Cards



  • Demon God Fist: 46 Damage, Punch, Before the attack, Block: -1 Parry & +5 HP/li>
Second highest base damage for Kazuya (Stonehead is still in the lead with 50) but unlike it's successor in base damage, it does not heal the opponent. This card works very well with Oni Stomp and other Focus Break Cards. Also, it is not even Unique. Really matches Kazuya's No Block Policy. In those sticky situations where the opponent is trying to finish Kazuya from 81 HP, this card can become quite the burden, I guess those are the costs of a 46 Base damage card.
  • Agony Spear: 20 Damage, Kick, Before the attack, Opp only Punch card: Card +30 Hit
This card just destroys punch decks. Ones that come to mind are, Lili, Panda, and Nina (Yoshimitsu's Punch deck is so terrible...). The damage is already pretty good and there is a good chance that unless the opponent has a Kick Deck, that this card's ability may proc for some big damage. This card doesn't really offer any utility to Kazuya, it is just another muscle card like Demon God Fist.
  • Steel Pedal Drop: 20 Damage, Punch, Before the attack, HP ≤ 100: Opp 5th card discard
This card is kind of like another Entrails Smash but inferior. Both cards are unique so you can consider running this card as well as Entrails Smash for that extra defense. If the opponent is fishing to kill you with a 5 card strike, this card is the answer, but there are other choices in Kazuya's collection, Oni Stomp comes to mind.
  • Slaughter Hook: 25 Damage, Punch, After the attack, This card blocked & HP ≤ 90: +30 HP
Great damage, sometimes unwanted ability. This card opens up the doors for possibly a Healing Kazuya deck? (lol). Sounds sketchy but you never know. The ability will throw off the strategies of a lot of Kazuya's opponents unless they take a meaty 25 damage.



  • Kamikaze: 21 Damage, Kick, After the attack, Focus & Cards = 5, Both -5 cards & Opp -45 HP
This card is kind of like Gehosen, weird. I look forward to using this card, I really enjoy these screwy louie cards because when you win, it is like the most embarrassing thing for the opponent (imo, lol). I think it works well if the average damage of your deck is rather low. When the ability goes off, you'll always be on equal footing in card, or at an advantage. This will probably be the first card I buy from the new cards.
  • Spirited Away: 18 Damage, Kick, After the attack, Cards ≤ 1: +1 card & Opp -1 card
Interesting card, can be used to really rush to a quick 3 card. Unfortunately this card only works in position 1 and is just an 18 damage otherwise. Wonder how it fairs with 3x Dragonfly Fist. I don't believe in putting 1 of any card in a deck unless it is a unique. That being said, putting 3x Spirited Away doesn't sound that great since they are only useful in position 1. I am somewhat interested in how these cards will play in a deck but something tells me by the looks of it, it is just a useless 18 damage Kick more often then not.

  • Shisetsu Genman: 16 Damage, Kick, After the attack, Cards = Opp cards: +1 card & Opp -1 card
Another interesting card that I look forward to playing with. I can't think of the synergies off the top of my head but playing around with card drawing is always fun. From the Yoshimitsu pool of new cards, this card is my 2nd choice after Kamikaze, but in terms of viability and consistency, I will probably choose Shisetsu Genman over everything else as the chances of this card procing are quite high.

  • Doushi Kiri: 19 Damage, Punch, Before the attack, Every turn: Both -1 Parry
Hallelujah, the answer to Parry Deck Lili (sort of) this card comes as a double edge sword but at least matches won't last 20 minutes against Lili like they usually do. Killing Kazuya just became easier as well. I wish this card was Opp -1 Parry but one can only hope. This will be the 3rd card I try out because I hate Parry Lili decks.


Conclusion

Kazuya gets 2 muscle cards which I think are pretty neat, a redundant defense card and an interesting healing card. I think the muscle cards may help Kazuya a lot in his game. If you've seen my Speed Kazuya Deck I think 3x Demon God Fist could replace Acute Pain in the future. Maybe things will change for Kazuya's style and the new healing card will pave the way for a Kazuya Healing deck.

I am kind of disappointed in Yoshimitsu's cards. I was hoping for a REAL answer to Lili Parry deck similar to Law's Wolf Fang (lol that probably would've been OP on Yoshimitsu). But I guess Doushi Kiri will have to do. Kamikaze isn't anything special, Spirited Away is mediocre at best. Shisetsu Genman on paper looks like the best card from the lot. Doushi Kiri will probably get Yoshimitsu killed faster than usual. I don't think Yoshimitsu will be moving anywhere in competitive play. But we will have to see. I am looking forward to making a silly deck though (lol).

My Review on Card Release 01 actually hoped for a release on Kazuya and Yoshimitsu. Spooky. Wonder if the game developers or designers actually read my blog. Hope you guys enjoyed this post. Leave a comment =]

3 comments:

  1. Steel Pedal Drop is discard after attack, I ever play with Kazuya with this card and I try to strike and what's the use of this card since it discard after I strike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For steel pedal drop, its written there that the effect occurs before attack, so is it a wrong description?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ElectricKazama is right. It's most likely an error. I believe it SHOULD be after the attack as "before the attack" sounds like it gives the opponent the ability to cycle through their deck till they have that 1 card that will deliver the killing blow. I am sure the designers and developers are aware by now. It is not a good card anyway, whether it is before or after the attack. I would prefer Entrails Smash, or Demon Scissors.

      Delete