Saturday, June 8, 2013

Widgets

Game Suggestions 01

This is the first of many suggestions I have for the game Tekken Card Tournament. I read all of the comments on the Tekken Facebook page and found it a lot more hostile than the Twitter page (lol). I hope these posts don't generate the same hate that the Tekken's Facebook page did.

Dodging

Dodging is the art of closing the application/browser for Tekken Card Tournament upon seeing what your upcoming match up is. After doing this, you don't lose any stamina and can look for another fight.

Yoshinoya versus Paul
Match with Paul? Dodge.
Players dodge because the match up is not in their favor. Example, currently Paul is extremely powerful, and has a high chance of possibly one hit KOing his opponent and sometimes there is literally nothing Paul's enemy can do about it. Players with low HP power cards would probably not favor a match up with Paul no matter who it is. This is where the incentive to dodge spurs from.

So how do we prevent people from dodging? Ultimately, if the game were "balanced" people wouldn't dodge. But that won't happen, at least not for a long time. My suggestion is to take 1 stamina upon pressing the button to search for an opponent. If the player dodges, it will be treated as a disconnect, they will not receive a reward and will be short 1 stamina.

What will this suggestion lead to? More QQing about the game's current "Over Powered" (OP) character (in this case Paul). Which brings me to another suggestion.

Deck selection during loading screen

Depending on the matchup, I would want to have certain cards in my deck. For example, against a Xiao Yu who presses strike more often than any other button, I would love to have the card "Perlious Spirit" (23 Damage, Kick, After the attack: Block won: +1 Card) and Sakanobori (12 Damage, Kick, Before the attack: Block: +1 Parry). My suggestion is, enable a feature which lets players choose which character deck they would like to use for the upcoming match during the loading screen. This would allow players to customize their style more and make use of cards that were otherwise useless unless in a very specific matchup. If this feature were available, I would make a deck to counter the current Paul meta (currently I am not sure if this is possible) and would only select it when fighting Paul players.
Deck Selection
Deck Selection

What will this suggestion lead to? maybe more balance issues (lol), but I would like to think of it as a pre-rock-paper-scissors match. The advantage your opponent has is not that big.

Fix Yoshimitsu's concealing ability

I hope I don't come off as bias but let's be honest, Yoshimitsu's conceal isn't the greatest unique ability. And even more surprising is the SR Power card. It has come to my knowledge that Oni Kick Combo and Yoshimitsu's SR Power Card do not work as I had intended. What happens is the card comes in concealed, than the 1st card is highlighted in green, giving away any surprises that Oni Kick Combo was drawn. I contacted the awesome support and was told this:

"What we intend to do is fix the conceal effect. We agree that it is currently broken."

This was very pleasing to hear and what really interested me more so were the new Yoshimitsu cards by the first half of July at the latest. That being said, I will hold on to my Gold till then, unless Balance Update 03 shows much promise for Yoshimitsu.

Different Leagues

One of the main reasons that Tekken Card Tournament isn't featured in the app store is because of the negative reviews from new players. What happens is, newbies play with their bronze cards, get totally devastated by players with silver or gold cards, then they look at the store and realize they need to pay a small fortune inorder to stand a fighting chance compete. This immediately triggers negative emotions from the new player and they impulsively quit and slander Tekken Card Tournament on the app store.

My suggestion for this issue is to create new leagues which restrict decks to only bronze/silver/gold cards. There could also be a league where decks have no restriction to rarity, but have at most 35 stars (bronze is 1 star, silver is 2 star, gold is 3 stars and SR is 4 stars). This will lead to a variety of new decks, more creativity and newer players sticking to the game as oppose to quitting, thus a larger community.

Conclusion

There are many things that I can say about improving the game here and there, but I am sure that the developers and designers are working round the clock in doing so. Remember, Tekken Card Tournament is still young and they have a long ways to go before "perfection". Not going to address anything Balance related, as they get a lot of that on the Twitter and Facebook page already. Lastly, don't hesitate to leave any comments, and if you have improvements for TCT, leave them in the comments and I will convey that message to one of the staffs for Tekken Card Tournament.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your comments and article, but I do think Paul is ONLY overpowered with Kongo blast and god hammer, whereas Panda and Kazuya can still win by card drawing and infinite block comboes without a SR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't mean to slander dear Paul in that paragraph. It just so happens it is unanimous that he is extremely powerful with a certain deck. Panda is also strong too but as a 160 HP Yoshimitsu, I feel I stand less of a fighting chance against a 50+ Damage deck Paul with Kongo blast and God Hammer. As for Kazuya, I feel out of Panda, Paul, and Kazuya, Kazuya is the weakest (and by a lot). I would say Kazuya is amongst the weaker characters.

      Delete
  2. Really sad thought that not a ton of people actually have that kongo blast. Can only pull out of an ultra now. Seems like an invite only club. I'm just sad I wasted time and credits on multiple rare mountain razes and thunder palms after seeing this deck. Paul cant keep up with nina in cards and healing so I barely see the point.

    I wanted to play yoshimitsu as a side but honestly on tct unless you have insane amounts of credits (by making an uber deck and winning weekly) its fruitless to try another character. It takes a month to get a few rares if you grind daily..and thats not enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, I get about 80k in 1 week. The grind isn't easy. Deck building is facilitated by sticking to 1 character. I think your cards may become more useful in Balance Update 03. Don't lose faith!

      Delete